Friday 8 July 2011

New Designers 2011: Dipping my toes into the design industry...

I have fortunately been chosen to exhibit my final degree work (see 1000's of pieces) at the New Designers Event that takes place annually at the Business Design Centre in London. It is a graduate show where all the universities have a stand displaying their finest graduate work of the year.

The show opened on Wednesday and I must admit I was not ready for the intensity of it all. During set up it was tense, students eyeing up each others work and comparing outcomes as some stands clearly had a much larger budget than ours. Despite the intial tension once set up was complete I found it all rather exciting. The private and press view involved all 14 of us from Loughborough being on the stand and talking to every one who showed an interest. I actually found myself enjoying it - despite after 12 hours on my feet and it was really intresting talking to people from all sorts of creative walks of life. It has opened a huge trunk of new ideas and ways of developing my work - I really wish I had more time at Uni to see them out.

It became clear soon on, that the way to get people interested in your work was too approach them. I tried my hardest to greet everyone who came in to the stand and once they worked out I am a bit of a chatter box they would ask which my work was and it would go from there. Although probably only 1 in 10 people could possibly further my designs, I felt it was important to treat everyone the same and give them the same attention - you never know who they might be!

http://www.newdesigners.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment