Sunday 10 July 2011

New Designers 2011: It's all about the networking

Following set up and the private view, the show was open to the public – working on a rota with the rest of my class we took turns to be at the stand. Following my mantra of the private view of ‘approach everyone’ I found myself talking to all sorts of people. When the event was open to the public you really could be talking to anyone. I have decided you can divide people into three categories: Teachers – very obvious characters, normally carrying a large bag, clipboard with a group of children in tow. Friends and Family of exhibitors – show an interest but ask superficial questions. At the last group – the category of people you can’t quite work out. They are normally the most interesting. Though it’s still safe to say I enjoyed talking to everyone about any aspect they were interested in – inspiration, process, future development and personal feelings about the course. I also enjoyed talking about others work – we had briefed each other, and being enthusiastic about work other than my own came to me much easier than I thought. I think it is because we have made the journey to this point together – so to some extent I felt I had a responsibility to them. I definitely felt that following New Designers I would be quite comfortable working at shows whether it be for my own work or someone else’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment