Sunday 25 September 2011

The mysteries of vintage jewellery

Although I tend to harp on about making and designing jewellery, I do have a love for all types and genres of jewellery – from market jewellery in Monte Rochelle in Naples, Italy to one pieces found down Islington, London little side streets. Recently I aquired rather a large collection of jewellery that used to belong to my grandmother. Having sorted through over 400 pieces I thought I’d share a few of my favourite pieces.

Blue ceramic earrings with fresh water pearls
Brooch (cubic ziconia)

Clip earrings - beads and gemstones

It’s amazing to think where this collection has been worn – the stories that it could tell and does tell. Some of it dates back to my great grandmother, having lasted 3 generations. The lavish parties, the secret rendevous’, the scandal of two World Wars and birthdays, weddings and occasions these pieces have been worn at are more than intriguing. One day, when I have the time, I’d love to look over the old photo albums we have and connect the pieces to specific times, places and people.  I look forward to being able to wear some of the pieces and live new stories wearing them, keeping hte vintage magic alive for the future.

A small selection of over 400 pairs of earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment