Saturday 24 September 2011

Should I be there too?

I went to the Origin craft exhibition/fair that takes place annually in London today. It was slightly strange walking around an exhibition for the first time where I wasn't looking for inspiration or ideas for a new project. I was simply looking for what I enjoy and find exciting. The first thing I did notice was how few people are considering plastic - clearly the challenge of making acrylic beautiful is still one some people are not yet willing to take on.

Having been to the show for a few years I found this show bland. Few things popped out at me, really making me want to look closer. It was interesting, playing with the thoughts of how my work would have sat in the show - it would have stood out for sure - though seeing how designers where struggling to sell, and how expensive even the smallest tea cup cost it did confirm my decisions not to be my own designer, however much I want to dream.

Either way, I love design. I love creativity and I cannot wait to have enough money and my own house to create my own personal gallery of everything that I love. There is nothing better than wandering through design and appreciating the discussion it starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment