Friday 21 October 2011

When is your 'sell by' date?

The art and design world is constantly changing, up-dating and moving forward, so one would agree as designers we have to be one step ahead of the game and constantly providing something fresh, innovated and un-seen. What is popular now will most definitely not be popular in 12 months time. Something I’d dread as a designer would be to be called old fashioned or out dated!  Though being current is something that is much easier said than done.

As being rather new at this ‘real world’ thing, I am beginning to realise just how important it is to be current. Being out the studios, living on very little money, and having to work full time to keep a roof over my head means there is very little time to stay current as a maker. Time, a lot of effort and even money is so important to staying current. I’ve never said I wanted to be a maker. I never want to own my own store and sell ‘stuff’. I appreciate that, and if that is what my friends want to do then I support them fully. I also appreciate the people who graduated with me and want nothing to do with design. Being someone who wants everything, I have found myself in the middle of the situation.

I want a creative job. So I have to show potential employers that I have that in me. My concerns lie in being able to prove I am creative in a month, or a year’s time. My degree suggests I was regularly applying my creativity, but since I have graduated on a paper my creative application becomes extremely...muddy. Being my stubborn self, as usual, I take matters in to my own hands. I’m still drawing, I’m still writing my ideas down, I’m still tearing pages out news papers and keeping record of things that inspire me. Is this enough? (Anyone who looks to employ creative people and has any thoughts on the matter I’d love to hear from you). The trouble with having a sell by date, is the simple matter of not knowing when it is. I simply have to be consistent in the application of my drawings, my ideas and my interests to avoid expiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment